11.01.2008

More Rants About Voting Nicely

Happy Day-After-Halloween everyone!

Last night was great! I got to see an EXCELLENT movie and saw some great friends.

(BTW, if you're still interested in seeing it and you're near the DC area - Leesburg, VA specifically, they are having another showing TONIGHT at 10pm. Be there!)

Right now, however, I would like to continue to discuss my feelings about the current election and how I do not feel WELCOMED in my opinions. Especially, on Facebook. Maybe I just so happen to have many Obama friends? I'm not sure. But either way, here is some evidence that I am not the only one feeling the same way:

My recent "status" message was a quote (I found it on The Prepublican) and it was:

"A government that is large enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson.

And that, folks, is the closest I've gotten to showing my political views on Facebook. On that status, I got two comments:

From Dan's mom (yes, she is on Facebook and I think it's fabulous!): "Yea Mr. Jefferson!"

From my friend R (I used to work with him): "Terrific quote Julie! I hope that means what I think it means. ;-)"

Hmm... R's comment back to me got me thinking. Are we both voting for McCain? Are we both part of a secret club? Are we ashamed? (I think not!). Are we worried about what others will think? Are we scared to see the bashing of our opinions rather than acceptance?

My response to R on his wall: "It does ;-)"

R's response on my wall: "Are we both sure that you're reading my mind correctly?"

My response to R on his wall: "Are we talking about McCain?"

(At this point, I am positive that we are because I looked through his info and groups and he is definitely not an Obama supporter)

That's as far as it's gotten so far. Why all the secretiveness? I will keep you posted as to what his comment is... but this just shows that we are NOT alone. There are other people thinking the same way. I'm not sitting here saying that all Obama-supporters are like this, because that is not true. I am just saying that I do not feel comfortable expressing my opinions. Obama supporters seem to feel differently since ALL I see is Obama advertisements.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

wm