1.05.2009

Top 10 Tips: What I Learned From Weight Watchers

Hello everyone!

I am excited because I CLEANED OUT MY REFRIGERATOR! It may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me especially since I have been super lazy since I got home. I also went to the grocery store (to fill up the clean fridge!). Today was my lucky day because I bought Vitamuffins in Deep Chocolate!
I have posted about these before, but I had to do it again. I am always excited to find these at the store because it's luck of the draw that they carry them. They taste so good and are so healthy (perfect for Weight Watchers!).

Since I am talking about Vitamuffins, I wanted to share that I decided to cancel my Weight Watchers membership because I cannot afford it anymore (at least right now) and I feel that I am at a good place. I started Weight Watchers this time last year and I loved it. I lost about 10 pounds but really the best thing that happened was all the knowledge I obtained. I have been attempting to get back on the Weight Watchers wagon since May but just haven't followed through. However, I recently weighed myself and I am way under from where I ever was in the past.

Why is this? Well, just because I am not tracking my weight and weighing myself constantly does not mean that I do not use what I learned from Weight Watchers.

Here are my top 10 lessons and tips that I learned from Weight Watchers:

1. These three nutritional elements are so important: Fat, Fiber, and Calories. Fiber is often overlooked as an important part of nutrition but trust me it is SO important. Let's just say that it's difficult for me to eat anything with 2 grams of fiber or less. When you are looking at a nutritional label examine these three elements. If fat is too high and fiber is too low, don't buy it.

2. Eat your veggies! Veggies are so important in so many ways. Find out what you like and stick with that. For example, if you do not like carrots - don't stress about eating them everyday! Focus on veggies that you will actually EAT! Be realistic.

3. Salsa is your best buddy. Salsa is worth ZERO on Weight Watchers. Eat it, love it... put it on your omelette's and use it as a dip for your baby carrots (have you tried that?).

4. Drink soup before a big meal - you will eat 1/3 less calories. This is a great tip for going out with groups of people. Sometimes I find myself in a situation where everyone around me wants to order an appetizer. In order to watch my cravings (and keep my mouth busy!), I will order a broth-based soup. Then I will become full faster and eat less during the actual meal.

5. Eat what you like! Who are you trying to impress anyways? Confused? Take this example: Recently, I went to dinner with some friends and it was at a nice sit down restaurant with beautiful meals. Do you know what I craved the most? The appetizers! So, I ordered the tapa's (pita bread and an assortment of dips like hummus and garlic... mmm) and french fries. I didn't at all of it but it completely satisfied me. Also, I saved money in the process!

6. Figure out where the amazing tastes are coming from. Example: I love fajitas. LOVE them. Prior to Weight Watchers, I would order them with extra cheese and sour cream. Now I tell them to hold BOTH the cheese and the sour cream and order guacamole. Guacamole is my weakness and it tastes great by itself on fajitas (I pile on the Salsa too! See #3). Also, I am obsessed with subs - I really love them. Prior to Weight Watchers I always had cheese on my subs and now I always say "hold the cheese". Who needs the extra calories anyways?

7. Don't go hungry and I don't get full. I eat constantly in little meals and I try very hard to not become hungry. When I get hungry I eat too much. It's also important to monitor your fullness because your body does not need that much food!

8. Watch your servings! This is one of the biggest that I learned. For example, if you have a can of soup you would ideally want that can to be your full meal right? This works great because there are only 110 calories....... right? WRONG. Most likely that can of soup holds 2 servings and therefore 220 calories for the whole can. Servings can be deceiving so keep your eye out for them.

9. Prepare yourself ahead of time. Where are you going to dinner tonight? I bet your preferred restaurant has an online menu! Pick out what you want ahead of time or call ahead to see if they can accommodate your wishes!

10. Copy your favorite items to make them healthier! Examples: I love going to coffee places and having whip cream on top of my coffee (although I never go because it's so expensive!). So, on the days when I am not running off with my travel mug, I will make my coffee in a cute mug and add Fat Free Reddi Whip! Instant Gratification - guilt-free! The next example is that I absolutely LOVE popcorn (it's my favorite food!). Since I love popcorn (like from the movie theater and buttery microwave goodness) and not the 99% fat-free kind, I make my own on the stove. That's right folks, I use a plain pot and add some veggie oil and kernels and viola! Fresh steamy popcorn which tastes GREAT with just a little salt :-)

I hope these 10 tips help you out. It has taken me almost a year to learn and live them! Weight Watchers really changed my life and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to eat better. It's not just for people who want to lose weight - it's for those of us who want to be healthier in general.

Do you have any healthy eating tips that you swear by?

Have a great night everyone!

hugs,

Julie